You can apply for net metering even after your Solar PV system has been installed. However, Net metering can be applied for both before and after your solar PV system installation
Before installing a grid-connected solar PV system, certain permits and approvals are required. These permits & approvals usually vary from state to state and depend upon type and capacity of the system. Listed below is a typical permitting process.
1. An application is submitted to the local distribution company with details of the planned rooftop project along with the required permit fee.
2. The distribution company then conducts an internal feasibility analysis of the rooftop project, basis which it approves or rejects the project.
3. On receipt of an approval from the distribution company, an application for registration of the rooftop project is submitted.
4. In case of net metering, an interconnection agreement is also executed between the project owner and distribution company.
5. During installation, the energy meters (solar & net meters) planned to be installed are required to be inspected/ approved by a representative of the distribution company
6. Inspection and approval from your area’s Chief Electrical Inspector is conducted either prior or post the installation, as applicable.
7. Upon commissioning, a commissioning approval for the project is accorded by the distribution licensee/ state nodal agency