• Net Metering
  • Financial Incentives
  • Subsidies
  • Loans

Select your State and Category


With about 300 sunny days in a calendar year, India’s solar potential is one of the highest in the world. With a strong policy focus, India, today, is one of the few countries to have surpassed the figure of 10 GW installed solar capacity. In achieving this feat, India shares the stage with countries such as Germany, United States of America and China, some of the best known countries when it comes to utilising the solar power.

It was in the year 2015, when Prime Minister Narendra Modi took over the office, he announced a massive target of achieving 100 GW of installed solar capacity by the year 2022, a five-fold increase in the previous target of 20 GW. This has since, been the new Solar Mission. Out of the 100GW target set, 40GW has been earmarked to be achieved from rooftop solar. While the target is stiff, the central and the state governments have been making constant efforts and endeavours through various policies as well as financial incentives to ensure that the country achieves the solar targets.. Since each state in India today has a different energy requirement as well as solar potential, each state has come up with its own individual solar policies and net metering regulations.

The industrial segment is the largest contributor to the 1 GW installed rooftop capacity at 40% and both residential and commercial have almost equal contribution at 25%. The remaining capacity has been installed by government buildings. Almost 85% of the projects have been installed under the Capex model and the remaining 15% of the projects have been installed under the Opex model.

When we talk about individual states in the country, Tamil Nadu has the highest installed rooftop solar capacity in India of 132 MW followed by Maharashtra at 89 MW, Gujarat at 69 MW, Haryana at 57 MW and Punjab at 55 MW.. The largest rooftop solar plant is installed in Beas, Punjab and has a total capacity of 11.5 MW. Out of the 40GW target that has been set to be achieved by 2022, each state has its own target to achieve.

As all the states strive to reach their individual target and as India inches closer towards the 100GW mark, at MYSUN, we have tried to collate and curate all the information about the solar policies at one place. Here in the section of Rooftop Solar Policies, you will not only find the state-wise solar policies including net metering, but you will also find these segregated based on consumer category. So, whether you are a residential user, a commercial user or an industrial user, the solar policies of the state of your interest are curated for you individually. We have also comprehensively listed down the financing options such as subsidy, accelerated depreciation, custom duty exemptions as well as loan availability options in all the states of the country to help you gather all the information that you may need before going solar from one place. You can also find information on the ownership models- be it CAPEX or RESCO statewise, so that you can make an informed choice, whether you should buy solar system or just buy solar power. In short, the Statewise rooftop solar policy page is a comprehensive collection of nationwide solar policies put together statewise and category-wise for you, so you are well aware of all the solar policies and related information across India.

My Sun Calculator Book your Solar System for just 6,999 and build your personalized payment plan with Flexi-payTM.


Please wait while your personalized Solar Savings Report is being generated. Do not close this screen for the process to be completed. It might take a couple of minutes.